Is central air right for you?
If you are looking to cool your entire home with a central air system, you’ve come to the right place. We can help you find the system that suits your needs, and one that won’t tax your pocketbook. We’ll give you the know-how to install the system yourself or help you contract out the work to a professional.
Let's make sure that central air conditioning is what you're looking for. There are two basic types of air conditioning systems: central air conditioners and room air conditioners. Central air conditioning systems use ducts to distribute cold, dehumidified air to more than one room. These systems contain multiple components and require about a day to install. Room air conditioners are single units plugged into an electrical source, require little effort to install, but only cool a small space - one or two rooms of a home.
Select a central air conditioning system if:
- You would like the ability to cool every room in your home
- Your home has a duct system in place or you would like to install one
- You are replacing or upgrading a central air system
- You have (or will be installing) a forced-air furnace or air handler which is located inside the home, attic, crawlspace or basement
- You have 220 volts alternating current available
Select a room air conditioner if:
- You would like to cool just one or two small rooms in your home
- You live in a small home or apartment and need minimal cooling capability
- You rent an apartment or home where it does not make sense to invest in a central-air system
- You do not have a forced-air duct system in place or do not want to install one
If a room air conditioner best fits your needs, there are a number of places, such as Home Depot or Wal-Mart where you can find inexpensive, quality models. Alpine specializes in central air systems; we do not offer room air conditioners on our site.
If central air is right for you, the next step is to figure out what you want from a new system, the type and size of system you require and the efficiency and options you desire. We can help you figure that out and give you some of the lowest prices available. See Selecting AC - Type to find out what central air system will work best for you.