The Goodman® SSZ14 14 SEER Heat Pump uses the environmentally friendly refrigerant R-410A and features operating sound levels that are among the best in the heating and cooling industry. R-410A is chlorine-free to help prevent damage to the ozone layer. With its 14 SEER rating, the SSZ14 will help reduce energy consumption throughout the life of the system.
All Goodman 14 / 15 SEER heat pumps must be installed with a bi-flow thermostatic expansion valve. This valve is installed in front of the indoor evaporator coil inline with the line set piping.
This heat pump can be 14 or 15 SEER, depending on which indoor unit it is paired with. If it is installed with the manufacturer recommended evaporator coil, a Goodman variable speed furnace, variable speed air handler, or variable speed modular blower, and also sometimes a thermostatic expansion valve (TXV), it is a 15 SEER system (see Accessories tab above for actual products compatible with this heat pump, or the "Instructions & Brochures" tab above for Goodman's spec sheet details). A 15 SEER heat pump system will reduce your electric bill approximately 7% - 8% more than a 14 SEER heat pump system.
If this heat pump is installed as a 15 SEER system, a federal energy efficiency tax credit of up to $1,500 is available if the equipment is placed in service from January 1st, 2009 to December 31st, 2010. The energy tax credit covers 30% of the equipment, installation supplies and labor costs up to $1,500. Take advantage of this limited-time energy tax rebate - act today and don't miss out on these great heat pump rebates!
If you are installing a heat pump with a backup heat source which will be a fuel furnace, you will need to install an electronic all fuel kit. This kit switches between the two heat sources as needed and prevents both the heat pump and backup heat from running at the same time. Alternatively, you can install the Honeywell VisionPro 8000 (TH8320U 1008) thermostat which has the all-fuel kit functionality built into it already, in which case an external all fuel kit would not be needed.
Need help putting a complete heat pump system together? Use our easy System Selector and we’ll do it for you!
Please note that this heat pump equipment comes pre-charged with R-410A liquid refrigerant and by Federal law cannot be released to the atmosphere. Yes, you can purchase this equipment without being EPA certified. And, if you are mechanically inclined you may perform about 90% of the equipment installation yourself. However, we strongly recommend to have a professional heating/cooling contractor do the final part of the installation including managing the refrigerant. An HVAC contractor has the tools and know-how to do this work. Also, having a contractor perform the final startup and inspection of this heat pump validates your warranty with Alpine.
Heat Pump's Standard Features
- R-410A environmentally friendly refrigerant
- High-efficiency Copeland® scroll compressor
- High- and low-pressure switches
- High-quality compressor sound blanket
- 850 RPM condenser fan motor
- Liquid refrigerant return protection
- Factory-installed, bi-flow liquid line filter dryer
- Service valves with sweat connections and gauge ports
- Copper tube/enhanced aluminum fin coil
- Reliable time-initiated, temperature-terminated defrost control
- Contactor with lug connection
- Ground lug connection
- ARI Certified
- ETL Certified
- Unique Goodman® sound control top design
- Steel louver coil guard
- Heavy-gauge galvanized-steel cabinet
- Attractive Architectural Gray powder-paint finish with 500-hour salt-spray approval
- Top and side compressor and tubing access
- Service ports and controls are accessible while unit is operating