Air Conditioning / Cooling
About Air Conditioning / Cooling
Air conditioning is a technology that has revolutionized the way we live, work, and play. From hot summers to chilly winters, air conditioning systems help us maintain a comfortable indoor environment regardless of the weather conditions outside. Here we'll provide an overview of air conditioning technology and explore some of the key factors to consider when choosing an air conditioning system for your home or business.
History of Air Conditioning
Air conditioning technology dates back to ancient times, with the Egyptians and Persians using wind catchers to cool their homes and buildings. However, modern air conditioning systems did not emerge until the early 20th century, when Willis Carrier invented the first air conditioning unit for a printing plant in New York City. Over time, air conditioning technology has become more advanced and sophisticated, leading to the development of a wide range of systems for homes and businesses, provided by a number of top Brands. In 2023, these Top Brands, such as Carrier, Trane, Lennox, Mitsubishi, Rheem, Goodman, and our own in-house brand, Blueridge, continue to push the industry forward with better and more efficient offerings.
Types of Air Conditioning Systems
There are several different types of air conditioning systems available on the market today, each with its own features and benefits. Some of the most common types of air conditioning systems which Alpine carries include:
- Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioning Systems
- Ductless mini-split systems are a type of air conditioning unit that does not require ductwork, making them an ideal choice for homes or businesses that cannot accommodate traditional ducted systems. They consist of an outdoor unit connected to one or more indoor units and allow for zoned cooling and heating control.
- Ultra Efficient Ducted Heat Pump Air Handler Complete Systems
- Ultra-efficient ducted heat pump systems use electricity to transfer heat between the indoors and outdoors, providing both heating and cooling capabilities. These units also help to combine the technology of a Mini-Split system, with existing ductwork that might be running through the home. They are highly energy-efficient and can save homeowners money on their energy bills while also reducing their carbon footprint.
- Split System Central Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps
- Split system central air conditioners and heat pumps consist of an outdoor unit that houses the compressor and an indoor unit that distributes cool air throughout the home or business. They are a popular choice for homes and businesses that require a high level of cooling capacity and efficiency.
- Central Heating & Cooling Complete Systems
- Central heating and cooling systems are comprehensive solutions that provide both heating and cooling capabilities for the entire home or business. They typically include a furnace, an air conditioning unit, and a ductwork system.
- Hotel-Style Heating and Cooling Units (PTAC)
- Hotel-style heating and cooling units, also known as PTAC (Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner) units, are self-contained systems that are installed through a wall or in a window. They are commonly used in hotels, apartments, and other multi-unit buildings.
- Self-Contained Package Unit Air Conditioning w/Heat Option
- Self-contained package units are all-in-one heating and cooling systems that are typically installed on the roof or outside of the building. They include all necessary components, such as a compressor, evaporator, and condenser, in a single unit.
- Air Handlers and All-Electric Furnaces
- Air handlers and all-electric furnaces work together to distribute heated or cooled air throughout a home or business. They are typically installed in conjunction with a central air conditioning or heat pump system.
- Split-System Installation Supplies and Components
- Split-system installation supplies and components include everything needed to install a split system air conditioning or heat pump unit, such as refrigerant lines, electrical wiring, and mounting brackets.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Air Conditioning System
When choosing an air conditioning system, there are several factors to consider, including:
- Size: The size of the air conditioning system should be appropriate for the size of the building or room that you’re considering will be cooled. An undersized unit will struggle to cool the space, while an oversized unit will waste energy and money.
- Efficiency: Look for air conditioning systems with high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios (SEER) and Energy Efficiency Ratios (EER). You can also consider SEER2 and HSPF2 Ratings. Higher ratings indicate more energy-efficient systems that will save you money on your energy bills.
- Cost: Consider the upfront cost of the system, as well as any ongoing maintenance or repair costs. While more expensive systems may be more efficient and durable, they may not always be the best choice for your budget. However, consider the trade-offs of spending a bit more on your system now, but reducing your monthly energy costs with more efficient equipment in the long term.
- Installation: Some air conditioning systems may require professional installation, while others can be installed by homeowners. Be sure to factor in the cost of installation and any necessary modifications to your home or building. Here at Alpine, there are options for both, with DIY units ready for you to install in an afternoon, or whole house systems that will require a combo of DIY and professional installation.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your air conditioning system running smoothly and efficiently. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and schedule annual tune-ups with a qualified HVAC professional. You can also call our Alpine Tech Support Department and Warranty Assistance Team for help along the way.
Air conditioning systems are an essential part of modern life, providing us with a comfortable indoor environment regardless of the weather conditions outside. When choosing an air conditioning system, be sure to consider the size, efficiency, cost, installation, and maintenance requirements of the system to ensure that it meets your needs and budget. By selecting the right air conditioning system from Alpine Home Air’s wide selection of top quality products for your home or business, you can enjoy improved comfort, energy savings, and peace of mind for years to come.